Saturday, March 19, 2011

Thank You Foremothers!

"Students said they liked school and performed their best when they thought that teachers cared about them...Students said teachers cared when they laughed with them, trusted and respected them (pg. 50).


 Ever since I could remember, I have always had a special connection with all of my teachers. Based on the quote above, I truly agree with her statement. School is so much better when you have a relationship with your teacher. I can truly say I may not have a very close relationship with my college professors, but I have no problem with communicating and socializing with them on a academic or personal level.  Being at Spelman College, I appreciate & LOVE seeing strong, Black women as my professors. Seeing them give me inspiration and confidence. I know I can be just like them one day!

In, "Voices of our Foremothers", Birney explained that her Black female college professors became her "mothers". She and myself have the privilege to say that our professors have helped us connect our academic knowledge to a broader world and understand the dynamics of our ever-changing place within the world.

While reading the excerpt, I came across a name who of someone I look up to as an influential role-model during her time on Earth, Mary McLeod Bethune. Education was so important to our foremothers. She stood for sisterhood, mentorship, and friendship. Because she worked so hard for education, we now have the prestigious Historic Black College, Betthune-Cookman University.

I am so thankful for the women who came before me. They made is easier for women like me to get a decent education. Because of them, I will only strive for excellence. Thank You Foremothers!

No comments:

Post a Comment